install debian over a mandrake install...

null

Hi -

I have an older box (pentium III 1-Ghz, 256 RAM, 40 Gb drive, TDK CD-RW) that I am screwing around with linux on. Currently I have a mandrake 9.0 installed on it, but I don't have any important files or data on it so far.

Since I am not having much luck with mdk (I hate rpm, and I haven't gotten anything by urpmi either) I wanted to install debian over it. I was wondering if debian would replace my entire mandrake install (if I wanted) or if it would install alongside mandrake.

I think I ended up installing mandrake something like: /, /swap, /home, and all the rest of the space as share.

I'd like to try out debian just to see what its like. I figure its more difficult than mdk, but maybe if I can at least get a good install, I'll be able to actually install some software - like k3b or whatever. I just can't say how dissapointed I am in the whole software install thing, at least under mandrake (although I'm sure alot of it is a "user" problem :? )

From what I've read about debian, it seems to be generally liked. The only thing that I've read about it that I don't like is how "behind the times" it is - something like 1.5 years old for the "stable" release.

Well, if your haveing troubles with Mandrake I don't know if I would jump to Debian just yet. Would I be correct and assuming your new to Linux? Why don't you post some of the problems your having with Mandrake in the proper threads and we'll see about getting you fixed up.

You can certianly try Debian if you want, and we will help with that too, but if you don't have a lot of Linux experience, be prepared to have MORE patience with Debian than Mandrake! :wink:

Well, if your haveing troubles with Mandrake I don't know if I would jump to Debian just yet.

:lol:

I knew someone was going to say something like that... :D

When I was typing that post, I was expecting to get something like "this guy can't do mandrake and he wants to try debian..."

I'm sort of new to linux - although I tried out mandrake 8.1 for about 3 months back when it came out in 2000. I actually had better luck with 8.1 - I installed some rpms, fixed my nvidia 3D, learned a little vi.

With 9.0 I just can't get any software to install - dependency this & that. and when I install a dependency - I may get conflict errors. Urpmi doesn't do anything either. I wont go into it here. Guess I'll post a question or 2 under installing mandrake, or software, or whereever.

Like I said, you can certianly give Debian a try if you want to, your box and your patience. :wink: You might have NO problems what so ever with it. I was just mentioning it because it is harder to install than mdk.

ok, how about red hat ??

the main reason I wanted to try deb was apt-get for easier s/w installing. But is RH using apt-get now ?

I know, at least on this board, that most of you feel that mdk is better than RH, but with RH you have tons of info available online, and tons of books available about it, and probably better support from the RH company itself.

I thought I saw somewhere that RH had gone to apt-get, or was going to in an upcoming release... ??

thanks

PS: and I can still come here for RH advice - cuz this is the best board I've found yet for help :)

ok, how about red hat ??

the main reason I wanted to try deb was apt-get for easier s/w installing.  But is RH using apt-get now ?

I know, at least on this board, that most of you feel that mdk is better than RH, but with RH you have tons of info available online, and tons of books available about it, and probably better support from the RH company itself.

I thought I saw somewhere that RH had gone to apt-get, or was going to in an upcoming release... ??

thanks

PS:  and I can still come here for RH advice - cuz this is the best board I've found yet for help :)

Yep, this is the best board around! :wink:

I don't have anything against RH, you can use apt-get with RH, it's not as defined as in Debian, but it still works and is a good distro, just like Mandrake is.