corel presentations for linux...

static

I have a friend who needs a PC for school this weekend :?

She likes corel and not m$ office stuff. My question is: do you think openoffice is close enough to corel or is it really striving to be m$ office?

Also, she needs to be able to do a slideshow like presentations and powerpoint - does OOo have a slide app? (not at home - can't check; I've only ever used the word processor)

Open Office does indeed have a Presentations application. Open Office Presenter is what it's called.

Failing that, you might still be able to find the Linux version of Corel WordPerfect suite 8 or 9. They stopped developing for Linux some time ago.

Guest jglen490

Wordperfect 8 is a good product -- however, it requires some old libraries. The libraries are available, it's just somethine else to mess with.

Wordperfect 9 shows up in Corel Office 2000 for Linux, which is a commercial product that's a little hard to find. Sometimes it shows up on e-Bay.

Your best bet is OpenOffice.org. I'm using 1.1 beta 3 at the moment. It's an awesome product in its own right and has very strong compatibility with M$ Office in all the comparable apps.