CRN Interview: Red Hat CEO Matthew Szulik

jlc

http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/d...ArticleID=43803

I'm glad this guy works for US. Smart man that deserves an applaus! Talks about several issues in this interview.

Little snippet.

CRN interviews Red Hat CEO Matthew Szulik: "The desktop is certainly an important area, but when we're inside now speaking to corporations the areas they are trying to solve are around configuration management, patch updates, scheduling, other hard problems that are causing their systems not to perform the way they want. Those are the areas we see as more strategic at this moment in time and of course ultimately, [our strategy] will find its way toward the Red Hat Desktop implementation." Also covered: SCO licensing, Novell's purchase of Ximian, Sun Microsystem's partership with Red Hat and other recent topics of interest.

My red hat is off to this guy,... He's the first in the Linux community in the USA to take a stand for Linux users and start to belt SCO around a little. I hope he suceeds.

I'm a little preturbed by RedHat's abandonment of retail editions though. I switched to SuSE 8.2 instead of RedHat as a result of that. I wanted a pro edition distro I could pick up at a local store, and would be around in a couple of years. SuSE I feel has that staying power. I probably would have gone to RedHat but for that.

SuSE was my main Linux distro for a long time. It will treat you right. :wink:

However, I don't know if RH leaving the retail scene will mean that you wont be able to buy it. You might be able to order it off of there web site and get it mailed to you. :?: Possibility.

Anyway,

Have a lot of fun! :suse:

I'm a little preturbed by RedHat's abandonment of retail editions though. I switched to SuSE 8.2 instead of RedHat as a result of that. I wanted a pro edition distro I could pick up at a local store, and would be around in a couple of years. SuSE I feel has that staying power. I probably would have gone to RedHat but for that.

Well, up here in Canada you can't find any Linux retail edition anywhere anymore. Not Redhat, not Mandrake, not SuSE, nothing.

I guess they're waiting for the outcome of the SCO/IBM trial to determine if it's worthwhile to sell them (just my theory).

Glitz.

I doubt that. I think it's more due to economic factors than liability ones.

Demand for Linux has been down just slightly over the last couple of months (Corporate types taking a wait and see attitude, home use being fairly steady... ). Couple that with short development cycles and you basically have an envirnoment where it doesn't make sense to market Linux.