Lm_sensors gkrellm question [solved]

banjo

I have a newly installed Mandy 2008.1 and I am running gkrellm. I would like to monitor the temperatures but I cannot figure out how to set this up to read them. I think I have lm_sensors installed because

[root@localhost thermal_zone]# rpm -qa | grep lm_sen
liblm_sensors3-2.10.5-3mdv2008.1

But when I attempt to configure the utility I get this:

[root@localhost thermal_zone]# sensors-detect
bash: sensors-detect: command not found

I am running this as root for sure. I see nothing in the folder /proc/acpi/thermal_zone

I attempted to install the package "lm_sensors - Utilities for lm_sensors​" and the installation failed telling me that there was a conflict with the libraries already installed.

I just created this thing and I have done all the updates, so I am puzzled. What do I need to get?

Help.

Thanks in advance

Banjo

(_)=='=~

OK. This is just weird.

In the Mandrake Control Center it showed liblm_sensors3 installed and also liblm_sensors4 installed. Well actually liblm_sensors4 was in the uninstalled search, but it was checked off as if it had been installed and I could not uncheck it.

When I tried to install lm_sensors it reported a library conflict.

Just on a whim I shut down the control center and restarted it. That cleared out the funky checkmarks and I was able to install lm_sensors. I now have sensors-detect. I will see if I can take it from here.

I have also seen problems installing packages and the control center complains that the database is locked. The same trick of restarting the control center seems to clear that up as well.

Thanks for listening.

Linux rocks!

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Well I am talking to myself again. It has been a long week. After I got lm_sensors to install it all worked as advertised.

I ran sensors-detect taking the default answers. Here is the relevant piece of the output:

Found `Fintek F71882FG/F71883FG Super IO Sensors'           Success!
   (address 0xa10, driver `f71882fg')

Driver `f71882fg' (should be inserted):
 Detects correctly:
 * ISA bus, address 0xa10
   Chip `Fintek F71882FG/F71883FG Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

I told it to create /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors, and after I rebooted the computer, gkrellm was able to pick up a bunch of sensors.

Sorry for wasting the bandwidth.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Hello Banjo.

You mention a number of lib packages seemingly connected to lm-sensors and then later installing lm-sensors, before starting to get anywhere.

All I have ever done during the OS installation is select lm-sensors and let the installation take care of installing whatever packages were required.

The end result is that on rebooting, I just opened a console as root, typed in the sensors-detect and clicked enter all the way through. I need to reboot otherwise the lm-sensors semsors-detect thing (process) can't happen.

No dramas no hassle. I suspect you made it much harder for yourself than it needed to be. I have used my routine for over something like 5 years (not totally sure...but a heck of a long time) and all the Mandriva version during that time. :D :D

I am glad you finally got there though.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

The lm_sensors libraries were already installed when I started this. That caused some of the confusion.

I think that part of the problem was that my internet connection dropped out during one install. That could not have helped. We have a very flaky DSL here in the Boston area.

It is working fine now. All I need to do is figure out what "temp1" and "temp2" are on my MOBO. :lol2:

They are reading within one degree of each other all the time right now, so I don't know how I will find out.

Right now I am going to bed. :zzz:

Thanks for the help.

Banjo

(_)=='=~