How do I import old Kmail settings?

banjo

I know this has been asked before, but I do not know how to implement the answers I have read.

Here is the situation. I just built a new computer and put Mandy 2008.1 on it. My other computer has mandy 2006 on it. So far so good.

Kmail is my email client and I have years of messages and addresses and distribution lists on it that took many hours to create. The last time I upgraded (from 9.1 to 2006) I imported my mail (in maildir format) by tar'ing my Mail folder on the old system and then extracting it on the new system.

I see that with 2008.1 the Mail folder is gone. It seems to be located down in .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Can I just put my old mail in there like before?

How do I import my address list and other setups?

The method I have seen recommended for importing Kmail is to just copy the entire .kde folder over from the new system. But it appears that .kde/share/apps/kmail is entirely different now. I doubt that copying an old version of it will do anything but cause trouble.

Help, please.. :wall:

Thanks,

Banjo

(_)=='=~

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hello Banjo.

If you go to your account and open Home in your new OS, and in Konqueror you set View (at the top) to show hidden Folders you will see .kde click on it and follow through to Share then Apps then Kmail you will see a folder titled Mail.

Copy the Mail folder in your earlier OS and paste it into this same place as the new Mail, it will ask whether to overwrite......click yes. This detailed explanation is for any newer members since you obviously know about .kde thing.

Log out then back in again and you should find all your old emails (received and sent) in place. You will however have to go through the setup procedure again for kmail again in your new os.

If you can find a Kmail Folder in your old OS then copy and paste it into the similar Kmail in your new os and do the overwrite procedure instead of the above Mail one. This should not cause any problem. Certainly the .kde transfer from old to new WOULD cause a lot of problems considering the vast changes in KDE over the years.

A good precaution is to go open kmail in your old OS and export your addressbook and such onto a usb flash drive as a backup to be ultra safe.

Although I used 2006, that was a very very long time ago so I don't remember exactly how kmail was setup back then but I hope this info helps.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

John,

Thanks for the answer. I guess I will experiment. I did manage to export my address book over using a CSV file, but it left behind my distribution list. I will try moving the folders over some time and see what happens.

I have to ponder why software developers would think that making it necessary to start over from scratch after an upgrade is an accepted and understood limitation... especially when we are forced to upgrade so often to keep up. I upgraded to 2006 only about 3 years ago, and that does not seem to me to be a long time ago. I guess I am slowing down :lol2:

Banjo

(_)=='=~