First boot help please

vestril

HI I tried search but couldnt find an answer.

I just installed Mandrake 9.0 and on 1st boot after it goes through all the inits it goes to a command prompt. The command promp is askin for my localhost login, I enter the host name I chose and pass word and it kicks me back to a prompt, I enter the localhost nick and pass, back to prompt. I tried both local host name and nick with root password and back to prompt. If I try it a couple of times it tells me my last login time, I assume I'm logged in? Now I have a prompt that reads [tanis@localhost tanis]$ tanis is my nick by the way. What do I do now? how do I get into the GUI? This is my first experience with Linux if you haven't already guessed.

Thanks in advance,

Vestril

to set it up so that the GUI starts automatically, go into Mandrake Control Center (mcc), go to boot, drakboot, and check the box beside "launch graphical environment..." etc.

i suggest against autologin, but you can use the feature if you'd like ;-) it's not a HUGE security risk, as long as you don't have to worry about someone sitting down in front of your system and making use of it without your permission.

Welcome to the forum. If you see

[tanis@localhost tanis]$

that means your login is successful. That is, user tanis has logged in to the computer whose name is localhost. The second `tanis' is the current directory name which is your home directory. You always get in to your home directory upon logon, which is /home/tanis in your case. Try

cd /usr

out of curiosity, the prompt will change to [tanis@localhost usr]$. To go back to your home directory, enter

cd ~/

Once you got [tanis@localhost tanis]$ prompt, type in startx to start the window manager. You should have chosen one during installation process.