Creating "hacked" Video CDs

davecs

Does anyone know of any Linux software that can put an MPEG-1 header on an MPEG-2 file?

The reason for this is that most DVD players, mine included, play VCDs but not SVCDs. VCDs have a res of 352x288, whereas MPEG-2 files have a res of 480 (or 720) x576, resulting in a sharper picture. For some reason, many DVD players which will not play SVCDs, will accept a VCD with files at SVCD resolution, provided the header of the MPEG file was altered prior to creating the VCD. The contents can still be at the higher resolution. Result: a huge increase in picture quality.

I can do this in Windows, there is a free program called TMPGenc, is there a similar Linux program that can do this. I have contacted one of the Transcode authors and it does not, nor do there seem to be any plans...

Does anyone have any info?

Guest boonders

check out the PLF source, Texstar Source @ pclinuxonline.com , goto the far left column, then scroll down to mandrake RPMs, the urpmi configuration, it will set up the sources for you.

My personal setup is DivX ;) on the computer, running S video to the TV, wireless mouse in the living room for everything, audio out, etc. Excellent resolution if compressed correctly. PLF has an except Perl based DVDripping program.

But, if you download the dvdripping tool, it has a bunch of additional command line programs with it, I believe one does the trick you asked about (to make a long story short :) )

Thanks Boonders.

I am more concerned about modifying files already produced by my camcorder than ripping new DVD files. (Thanks to switching to Linux and Open Source software, I can now afford them! :wink: even at UK prices!) However, I will look at the various commands that were downloaded with DVD::RIP. (Quick hint - Use Mandrake Control Centre to remove the file, but don't actually press the button to remove it. You will get a list of files in the right-hand window, and all the programs are those that start with /usr/bin !)

I already had Easy Urpmi set up. IMHO that is what lifts Mandrake above the crowd!