[root@localhost shootrrr]# apt-get update

E: Syntax error /etc/apt/vendors.list:11: Extra junk at end of file

vi /etc/apt/vendors.list

gives me

# Package repository URLs

#

# See http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/cookerdevel.php3 for a full list

# of mirrors.

rpm ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/i586 Mandrake cooker

#rpm ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake-devel/i586 Mandrake cooker

#rpm ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586 Mandrake cooker

~

Any ideas on reason for the error? I am trying to get to the end result of using synaptic.

I apologize in advance for not answering your question, but I've been wondering about something for a long time. I'm not trying to be a troll, this is an honest question: why do people use apt-rpm instead of urpmi on Mandrake? What advantage does apt-rpm offer over urpmi?

This case in particluar. Cooker has an hdlist.cz file. Why not just add Cooker to the urpmi sources?

# urpmi.addmedia Cooker ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...6/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

Guest Chadd

Dyslexic,

See http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6413 for my recent battle with urpmi

I still have not solved the problem, I just noticed I did not have a 'main' source. Below is the output of one of three different attempts, all give the same "no can do" kinda reply.

[root@localhost shootrrr]#  urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/linux/mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

unable to take medium "CD1" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.CD1] exists

unable to take medium "main" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.main] exists

added medium main

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.texstar.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]

retrieving description file of "main"...

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"...

...retrieving done

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]

I have no idea what the problem is (probably me).

As to synaptic. I learned of it/used it with Alt linux. Worked great. Still works great. I have read various threads here that indicate it works good with Mandrake also.