GCC 2 and 3 difference?

Guest charles

Guest charles

I have a usb adsl modem driver that was compiled for Mandrake 8.2, but that I need to use under Mandrake 9.1. When I try to install it, it tells me that it needs to do some linking, but that there is a major difference in the version of gcc it was compiled with (2.xxx) and the version that the 9.1 kernel was compiled with (3.xxx).

Is there a way I can get around this? I don't have access to the source for the driver.

i don't see a way around it unless you install gcc 2.xx.x. (that is have both 2 and three running on your system).

perhaps if you let us know which driver you are talking about someone may be able to give you a url to the actual source of the driver. (for example the speedtouch modem source does exist out there).

Guest charles
i don't see a way around it unless you install gcc 2.xx.x. (that is have both 2 and three running on your system). 

perhaps if you let us know which driver you are talking about someone may be able to give you a url to the actual source of the driver. (for example the speedtouch modem source does exist out there).

I doubt it. This is a proprietary Italian modem (I live in Italy at the moment) where they initially didn't want to even make linux drivers at all. They just released this binary a week ago after six months of saying they weren't even considering it. Maybe if I get other people to pester them...

Thanks for your response