Urpmi difficulty

AussieJohn

I don't think that's the case, or far more people would be reporting the same problem you had. As far as I've seen, you're the only one. The problem with the synthesis.hdlist file for 2008 Spring was different, genuine, and has been corrected: I tested this. Yesterday I could not add a 2008 Spring main repository due to the reported md5sum error, today I can. I have not changed anything about urpmi. Whatever you're experiencing is different and apparently unique to you. :)

I suspect by removing and reinstalling urpmi you shifted some files in /var/cache/urpmi that were causing the problem. That would be my guess. I don't believe there's anything wrong with urpmi itself.

Hello adam. I could accept your statement if it weren't for the fact that I totally deleted /var/ cache/urpmi on many occasions and then doing the update sites thing which recreated the folder but still not placing the MD5SUM and media.cfg files in Partial.

They are both in there now since I did the urpmi install change and so urpmi works properly now. I deleted the /var/ cache/urpmi again before doing the urpmi install so there was nothing for the install to rearrange, the same as there was nothing to rearrange when I tried using the original urpmi numerous times.

Therefore the trouble in /var/cache/urpmi was not the cause of the problem, it was a victim/result of the problem.

What I find very interesting is that when I first tried to install the urpmi from the DVD Disc, it would not let me because it said it was trying to install an older version over a newer version. This confirmed that the one in use was an update. My having to use nodeps to uninstall it was because it also wanted to pull out a bucket load of other packages.

Since getting urpmi running properly again and checking all updates I am amazed that there is no update for urpmi now. I have a sneaking suspicion that that update has been quietly withdrawn.

There is no update in Main Testing or Main Backport, however there are 5.19-1mdv2008.1, 5.19-2mdv2008.1 and 5.20-1mdv2009.0 in cooker and I am quite positive that I did not download any of these three from cooker but I vaguely remember something like 5.19-1mdv2008.1 being the one that was installed. Looking at the 5.20-1mdv2008.1 changelog it says the following........

* Tue 03 Jun 2008 08:00:00 EST Pixel <pixel@mandriva.com> 5.20-1mdv2009.0

+ Revision: 214211

- 5.20:

- urpmi:

o --auto-update should behave like urpmi.update when mirrorlist is outdated

(cf http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=86837)

o fix --replacepkgs when a package appears more than once in urpmi db (#40893)

(need perl-URPM 3.14)

- urpmi.addmedia:

o add missing mark in "Do you want to add media '%s'?" message (from Nikos)

- urpmi.addmedia, urpmi.update:

o fix checking synthesis MD5SUM

o check downloaded synthesis/MD5SUM is not invalid HTML code, and try

another mirror from mirrorlist (#39918)

(useful for servers not returning a valid HTTP error)

Note what it says about an MD5SUM problem correction.

Interesting coincidence Huh. I don't think so.

Cheers. John.

No update has been issued for urpmi for 2008 Spring. All updates released are announced on the security-announce mailing list, so all you have to do is check the archives there. Changelog mailing list archive shows that no urpmi package has ever been sent to 2008.1 /main/testing or /main/backports , either.