Cable internet on MDK9.0 throught Firewall/network

iphitus

Hi

I've converted a friend to Linux Mandrake 9 from that other OS. He's trying to get his internet connection working. Here's his setup.

| COMPUTER |

|____________ |

|

___|_________

| HUB |

|____________|

|

____|______

| FIREWALL |

| ROUTER |

|___________|

|

___|________

| CABLE |

| MODEM |

|____________|

The modem is a Motorola Surfboard, US Robotics Hub/switch not sure and have no idea about the firewall.

How would he go about using this from a clean MDK9 install

Oh yeah to make things worse he's on Telstra Bigpond Cable

- yes they're Australia's biggest ISP

Here's another problem - info from http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:AE...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Telstra's computers send out a so-called heartbeat network signal every few minutes that attempts to open a connection on your server computer; if the heartbeat can't open this connection then Telstra assumes that you've disconnected from the internet and shuts down your connection.

Any advice? The internet worked in Winblows

Thanks in advance, sorry to be general, details on firewall soon

James

Guest Ptaieb

this is a cable modem yes ? this is what I learn from my own installation. you need to have the mac address of the modem register at the ISP as active as the system will use DHCP for the ip address, then you set your PC Network card to dhcpclient and it will request at boot time (or network start) an ip adress.

I do not know your ISP neither your modem, but here is how I did it, I had this network set for one windows PC at the begining, so I connect to the ISP while under windows and follow there nice installation package compatible only with M$, then I through in the bin the windows PC and place the Network card in my mdk system. no more problems