Man pages gone, /usr/share/doc gone

Read_Icculus

So I've installed 9.1 on a box with a winmodem after I found a driver that would work. A conexant something with the HSF chipset. The rpm I installed was hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.21_0.13mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm. Everything seemed to be going fine, the driver worked like a charm and all was good. Then after I setup urpmi and got a few updates I started getting some strange errors, "libcurl.so.* is corrupt", "wget is corrupt", the same sort of messages for almost every command I tried, cp, mv, everything I tried except reboot. I can't list the exact error message as I didn't save the output. So I decided to reinstall as the installation was only an hour or two old and I just wanted to get things back to normal. So I installed 9.1 and the driver again, and everything worked for a day or so. Then after I logged out of IceWM I got more strange errors when entering commands, "command perl not found", "wget not found", etc. So I reboot the box and log back in, now everything can be found fine, and I've had no more problems along those lines. But I decided to take a look at some man page, and I get the error "man wget not found". So I look at /usr/share/man and all the folders are there, but the pages are all gone! Then I look at /usr/share/doc and once again all the directories are there, but absolutely no files are there at all. Other than those two things everything else in /usr seems to be fine. Very strange. I've got 9.1 on several other boxes and have never had any of these problems before. I have no clue what the problem could be other than the winmodem driver, although I have no idea why that would make my man pages dissapear. I mean I know it's supposed to "corrupt the kernel", ;), but this seems ridiculous.

Already tried using rpmdrake to get rid of man and manpages and then I installed them again. It didn't work. I did try out your suggestion of running a "rpm --rebuilddb" and trying it again, but they are not there... it installs and makes the directory, but there is nothing there. I also tried installing the packages "rute" and the "howtos" as I know they install into /usr/share/doc. They install fine but there are no files at all! I've checked, doublechecked, uninstalled, reinstalled and it will not make files in usr/share/man or in usr/share/doc. I'm about ready to try yet another install and see if the same type of thing happens again, but I really want to know WTF is going on.

When I urpmi'd man and the other packages I didn't get any error messages at all, everything installed fine... but the actual files would not show up. I tried urpmi and rpmdrake on all of the files that wouldn't install. But I figured out, (I think), what I did to make this happen. I installed in text mode, deselected all of the package groups, and hit "individual package selection". Then you get three options... "With X", "With basic documentation, (recommended)", and "Truly basic install, (especially no urpmi!)". I didn't select any of the options as I wanted only the packages I selected individually, which included X, urpmi, and the man pages. If you select any of the options I've noticed that you get some more stuff than just what they say you'll get. So anyway urpmi and everything else worked just fine. But I think since I didn't select "with basic doc*", something screwy happened and I couldn't get the man pages and /usr/share/docs for anything! I guess when they give you that option that you had better take it if you want documentation... of course I didn't think that would be the case when I installed. Seems to be a bit of overkill really if that is the case. I guess it makes it impossible to install the man pages and whatnot, sort of strange. I think I might try re-creating the bug/feature on another box just to see if I'm right. Anyway thanks for the help and a big "Doh!" on my part.