Upgraded guarddog and now it doesn't start automatically

Read_Icculus

I recently upgraded to using guarddog 2.1.4 on a new install of MDK 9.1 after having used 2.0.0 on all of my old installs. Besides the fact that the dependencies now make me install the entire KDE desktop instead of just a few kdelibs, now it seems that the firewall script, (rc.firewall), does not load when I boot up my system. I have to manually go into guarddog and hit the "OK" button to run the script. I know there has to be an easy way to fix this and whatnot, I've just always used guarddog since I've started with linux and do not know much about iptables besides hitting "iptables -L" to see what guarddog did each time I mess with it. Some help with how to fix running guarddog would be great, as well as any suggestions on something better to use as I'm not too fond of the new dependencies.

if you're a Gnome user, firestarter is half decent. if you don't really want a graphical interface of any sort, Mandrake comes with Shorewall. It can be configured through MCC (to some extent) or Webmin (if you installed it)-or of course by editing the config files by hand.

I like guarddog too, however this new version has presented a few problems. Like you said it normally starts the firewall whenever a network interface is brought up, which for me is a dial-up connection. Now it doesn't start at all, which I imagine is just some problem with chkconfig or something in init.d that just for some reason didn't work this time around. Or maybe something with the script as it normally, (in old versions), starts when I make a ppp0 connection according to syslog. I've just started manually running the script that guarddog already made for me whenever I bootup, as I'm too lazy to get around to adding it to init.d or chkconfig-ing it or whatever I'll have to do. I think I'm going to look into shorewall or just using a script for iptables now that I have a general idea of futzing with text config files for my firewall, and I do not like the idea of getting the entire kde desktop just for one program.

edited for clarity