Problem with 2008 Spring and Amarok [solved]

tryfan

I have a big problem with two of my computers (one desktop and one laptop) since upgrading them to 2008.1 (Spring).

The Amarok collection scan seems to run normally up to 12 - 25%. After that it hangs, and the cpu gets very hot. I then have to use ksysguard to shut the amarok processes down.

My other two computers still run 2008.0, and they have no problem to scan the same collection (just over 30,000 songs on a NFS-mounted server). Also, if I reinstall 2008.0 on the two troublesome computers, they will also scan without problem.

I don't know if the prooblem is related to Amarok, SQlite or something else, Haven't tried MySql, since I find it a bit challenging...

As I see it, I have two ways out of this:

1) Find a fix for the Amarok problem. (The best, since both machines work beautifully otherwise).

2) Run 2008.0 on both. Not good, since there are a lot of driver issues. (Sound on both, and graphics on the laptop). Besides, 2008.1 is a LOT nicer.

Ideas, anyone?

/goran j

If you run Amarok from the command line, are there error messages to guide your trouble-shooting?
Not really. Amarok starts amarokapp and gives the following output:

[tryfan@tryfan ~]$ amarok

Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..

Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x809cad8 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"

QLayout "unnamed" added to QVBox "unnamed", which already has a layout

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x809cad8 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"

QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout for PlaylistWindow/PlaylistWindow

QObject::connect: Incompatible sender/receiver arguments

StarManager::ratingsColorsChanged() --> ContextBrowser::ratingOrScoreOrLabelsChanged(const QString&)

QColor::setRgb: RGB parameter(s) out of range

[tryfan@tryfan ~]$

I don't know how to get any output from amarokcollectionscan, except in collection_scan.files and collection_scan.log, and I've never seen any problems in those.

Those are just Qt warnings, they are not causing the problem.

You may have a corrupted collection.db? You could try deleting it, then build another one. It's located in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok

If you continue to have problems, here are the instructions (they look easy to use :)) to transfer your SQLite3 database to MySQL: amarok.kde.org/wiki

From what I've read, this has solved the problem for many users.

From what I've read, this has solved the problem for many users.
It did for me as well! I It seems that the problem must be related to SqLite in some way.

MySql is so much faster, so actually I'm quite happy that I had this problem which forced me to change :)