Drakbackup and cron.weekly

manly

Here is what I want to do:

I have my main computer running Mandrake 9.1. Each of my parents have a computer, one on 98SE and one on Win2k. I would like to use drakbackup as an automated way to backup all three systems. I've set up samba, and have mounted each system that I want to back up. (/mnt/dell233/jim, /andrew, etc). I also want to back up the Documents folder in my Home directory on my mandrake box. I've set it up so a .tar.gz file is created on the Win2k machine (it has a burner) with all of the right info. It seems to be working, but I still have a few questions, and the MDK docs suck :-(

I have set it up as a weekly backup. When will this actually happen? Is there a specific time?

What if one of the two Windows machines is off? Is there a way that I can tell drakbackup to wait until they are both on?

Does anyone have any experience with the CD backup option? Can I have drakbackup create an ISO file on the Win2k machine ready to burn, along with the rescue capabilities outlined in the help file?

I'm also confused about incremental backup. What are they and how are the different from regular backups?

Thanks,

--Andrew

I have no experience in backups, so I can't answer to your questions except:

I have set it up as a weekly backup. When will this actually happen? Is there a specific time?

That stuff is configured on the file /etc/crontab; if you don't understand the format, read the manual page of crontab (section 5) --> man 5 crontab

22 4 * * 0 root nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.weekly

So does this mean that cron.weekly will run at 4:22 AM on Sundays?

I'm still having problems with the other parts of my post, so any help is appreciated :-)