kbluetoothd gone AWOL in mdv2008

Phil Edwards

When I had mdv2007 installed, I was using kbluetoothd and a couple of custom scripts which would automatically check my Nokia mobile for new images and/or videos whenever the bluetooth dongle got plugged in on the laptop. This could all be configured from an item called 'Bluetooth Services' under 'Internet & Network' in the KDE control centre. On the 'Device Discovery' tab, it was possible to configure so-called 'discovery jobs' which KDE would launch automatically whenever a specified bluetooth device was detected. This was all provided by the kdebluetooth-1.0-0.beta1.8mdv2007.0 package.

Now that I've installed mdv2008 instead, this option is no longer present in the control centre. The corresponding package in 2008 is kdebluetooth-1.0-0.beta8.5mdv2008.0, but this doesn't include the kbluetoothd binary. I've checked the latest kdebluetooth source tarball on SF and this no longer has kbluetoothd either, so it looks like it's something the developers have removed.

I'd really like to have this feature back again. Does anyone know of anything which might provide similar functionality, or a feature in mdv2008 which does the same thing?