NTFS Resizing tool in 9.1

Guest chad

Hi all,

Has anyone used the NTFS resizing tool during the installation of 9.1? I started the install process but couldn't find a tool for resizing NTFS. I did, however, see a FAT resizing tool. Am I wrong in thinking that there was an NTFS resizing tool?

I posted this on the Mandrakeclub forum, as well, but I rarely get an answer on anything there.

Thanks for your help.

Chad

Guest boonders

NTFS resizing is an option on installation in MDK 9.1 you just have to find it :)

I'm guessing it does it automatically under the automatic part. If you do custom, I don't know where it would be...But, it is there

WOW! I feel stupid. I attempted the install again figured out how to resize the partition. If you click on the NTFS partition that you want to resize, there's a button that's labled "RESIZE". Doesn't get much easier than that!

:D

Guest fubar::chi
I am pretty sure windows won't boot if the mbr is written to, thats only on ntfs system partitions.

that's a negatory, i used to do this with xp all the time, i always put lilo in the mbr so that it takes over the booting process. do you boot from a floppy? unless you do you probably have lilo in the mbr too.

A coexistence of Linux and WinNT can be achieved with the following steps:

* Install NT.

* Partition the NT drives (Create one data drive with FAT so Linux can write on it)

* Install Linux. We assume /dev/sda3 for the root partition here. Attention: This partition must respect the 1024 cylinder limitation (1024_Zylinder.html)!

* Mount the data drive (e.g., below /dos)

* Install LILO in the Linux root partition (i.e., /dev/sda3), not into the MBR. You can, however, configure a choice of different Linux kernel images for LILO.

http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/nt.html

Important: Do not install LILO on the disk's MBR. This will stop W2K from booting. Instead, make sure it is installed on the /boot partition (which should be the second partition on the disk).

http://www.enterprisedt.com/publications/d.../dual_boot.html

I am aware the mbr isnt ntfs. Those articles are some of the many howto's describing how ntfs windows systems and linux can coexist on a drive. That is what led me to believe the mbr should not be written to by anything other than Windows when Windows uses and ntfs partiton.

* Install LILO in the Linux root partition (i.e., /dev/sda3), not into the MBR. You can, however, configure a choice of different Linux kernel images for LILO.

http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/nt.html

Important: Do not install LILO on the disk's MBR. This will stop W2K from booting. Instead, make sure it is installed on the /boot partition (which should be the second partition on the disk).

That is why you should install Mandrake. :wink:

Guest boonders

hmmm....they were BSing :)

I'd say its EASIER to use the MBR and if you want to get rid of linux later, just use the rescue disk to reinstall the windows boot loader.