Automatic FTP

Urza9814

Ok, so here's the problem. My girlfriend's off at college, and we wanna get a webcam chat thing up and working, but none of the programs we've tried will work on both of our computers. We're both on Mandriva 2007.1. But anyways, the lightweight webcam_server does work perfectly. I already have a site up from my computer so that she can view mine, but the problem is, being at school, she's behind the university network, and the whole NAT and firewalls and crap make it pretty much impossible for her to run a server. So I figured the best bet would be to find a simple way to push the image files from her computer to mine, and then write a simple refresh script. I was thinking FTP, but anything really would work...I just need some way she can auto-login and automatically drop the files. Any ideas?

So my friend pointed me towards netcat...can't figure anything out using that for FTP...but I did manage to use netcat to play my audio on my gf's computer by piping /dev/dsp into/out of it...but I tried earlier piping /dev/video0 to a file I created, but webcam_server wouldn't read that. So I'm thinking I could pipe her /dev/video0 to my /dev/video0 (can't test it at the moment 'cause her camera is acting up), but then I can't send her my video. And since I can't transfer her video0 to just any file, I'm not sure what to do.

And her webcam is back up now, and that plan failed. Seems like whenever she would hit enter on her end to start the command, the server on my end would close. Odd that it works with audio but not video....

Edited by Urza9814

heeey, there we go. I got VLC outputting to a file then I used netcat to transfer that file ot a file on my computer which I then read again with vlc :)

Excellent quality too. Horrible delay though. About 3 minutes.