XFree problems with S3 Trio 64

youngmug

I have recently installed Mandrake 9.1 on an IBM PC 300PL (6862-24U). Everything works well except for XFree, which continualy restarts (or seems to). The IBM has a built-in S3 Trio64 chip, which worked well under 9.0. Because of this, it seems to be a software issue.

This problem seems to be related to the chip, since 9.1 works well under the other graphics chipsets I have tried (ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP and Matrox G400). Note that I have tried these cards in this computer, not another, so it seems very related to the graphic chipset. I am using the ATI card for now, but I really need it for another computer.

Does anyone know of some steps or updated packages that will solve this issue?

Guest bobcat

For beginners, the problem is not with Mandrake, the problem is with XFree86 4.3.

I currently run a S3 Savage 4 card that ran well in Mandrake 9.0, but gets blown out of the water with 9.1.

A buddy of mine found a patch for the Savage card that worked more or less well, but the quality I got was nothing like the quality I had with mdk 9.0.

The patch, which involved 3 files pointed me in a direction that proved to work. The three files are savage_drv.o (in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers), libvbe.a (in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules) and libint10.a (in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux). Try this: reinstall mdk 9.0 and copy your specific driver files for your card as well as the XFree86Config-4 and Xfree86Config files to a floppy; reinstall mdk9.1, then insert your floppy with the files copied from 9.0 over the default files in 4.3 in 9.1. If you go to init 3 and then type X -probeonly you will find that XFree 86 v 4.3 is stiill the default, but the files you copied over supplies the drivers that seem to have been omitted when XFree86.org released the modules

Thank you for your reply. I will try that this weekend.

I kind of thought it might be XFree86, not Mandrake. With the customization MandrakeSoft makes, I was not sure who actually broke the software.

By the way, Mandrake 9.1 installs XFree 3.3.6 when it detects my chipset. To get around this, I had to choose a card that uses a compatible driver family (Virge) and edit XF86Config-4. This worked to a degree - I got a screen, but the right half was hidden under two mirror images of the second quarter of the screen. Very odd. Perhaps the whole driver fix will work. I will reply with my results.

Instead of doing *strange* things, and provided that you seem to be sure that the problem is with XFree4.3, why don't you just download the XFree4.2 rpms from a 9.0 mirror and reinstall them with the "--oldpackage" flag?

Just a thought ;)