Unable to update to kernel-latest

I'm not really sure if I want/need to update my kernel, but I'm having problems with my Nvidia 3D so I was hoping it may help. The other thing is that I get this package as an update in MCC, but cannot select it. I'm currently running 2.6.17-13mdv kernel (x86_64), but this is what I get, when I try to select the update suggested by updates in MCC:

Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:
	   kernel-latest-2.6.17-14mdv.x86_64 (belongs to the skip list)

What's the deal here and what is a skip list? OK, I can figure out it's purpose in life from the name, but where is it and who (not me... B) ) or what has chosen programmes into that list?

You have to manually force an upgrade of the kernel. You'll want to read this article. Mandriva doesn't let kernels be upgraded unless you explicitly intend to do so, due to the issues that can arise during kernel upgrades (for example: drivers that were compiled, i.e. your nvidia driver, will stop working until built against the new kernel).

honestly, it's a bit of a mess: the inside story is that prior to 2007 Spring we had one faction (including me) pushing for kernel updates to be completely automatic just like other updates, and the other faction (basically, the kernel team) who wanted the 2007.0 status quo, which was kernel updates not even appearing in MandrivaUpdate at all. What we ended up with was the awkward compromise that they're listed in MandrivaUpdate but not selected by default, and the way this was achieved was via abuse of skip.list...

Just to expand on what Adam has said, this is from the Spring release notes:

Several releases ago, the kernel package naming scheme was changed. Instead of being named simply kernel, kernel packages are now named kernel-2.6.XX-Ymdv. This makes it possible to enable to install several kernels at once, so that in the event of problems with one kernel version, other versions are still available. However, this means updated kernel packages are seen as different packages by rpm and thus urpmi, rpmdrake and MandrivaUpdate do not see them as available updates for the kernel.

In Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring, special packages named kernel-*-latest (e.g.: kernel-latest, kernel-legacy-latest, kernel-enterprise-latest, kernel-doc-latest, kernel-source-latest, kernel-source-stripped-latest, kernel-xen0-latest, kernel-xenU-latest) are included. These are just empty virtual packages. When the installer installs a kernel flavor (either the normal one, the legacy or the enterprise one), it also installs the corresponding kernel-*-latest package. This ensures that when an update is published, urpmi, rpmdrake and MandrivaUpdate now see there are kernel updates available.

By default, these are not pre-selected in MandrivaUpdate or installed by urpmi --auto-update like other updates (since they are listed in /etc/urpmi/skip.list) as we feel that upgrading the kernel must be a conscious action. If you would like kernel updates to always be pre-selected in MandrivaUpdate and installed by urpmi --auto-update, remove the lines from /etc/urpmi/skip.list.