Fresh install--won't boot! [solved]

javaguy

Having tinkered with my new 2007.1 install to the point that a bunch of stuff wasn't working, I did a fresh install. Now it won't boot! It boots partway, then just freezes.

I even went so far as to do another complete fresh install, reformatting the partition (don't worry--I saved all my important stuff elsewhere) and starting with a clean slate. Still nothing.

I did a tail of /var/log/syslog and didn't see anything particularly revealing (to me):

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: Freeing SMP alternatives: 16k freed

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: checking if image is initramfs... it is

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: Freeing initrd memory: 733k freed

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: ACPI: Looking for DSDT in initramfs... error, file /DSDT.aml not found.

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: CPU0: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ stepping 02

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: Total of 1 processors activated (4426.91 BogoMIPS).

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: ..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=0 apic2=-1 pin2=-1

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: Brought up 1 CPUs

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: migration_cost=0

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 16

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: ACPI: bus type pci registered

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved

May 5 13:58:09 localhost kernel: PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.

I can boot in safe mode.

The other thing that baffles me is that when I watch the bootup process, it does not always freeze up at the same place. So I can't say that it freezes when it tries to bring up the network, or when it brings up this or that, because sometimes that's where it freezes and sometimes it isn't. :(

Update: The ACPI thingy didn't like my BIOS, or my BIOS didn't like it. Anyway, disabling it solved the problem. Nods to Dr. Google for helping me solve this.

Edited by javaguy