Firefox 2.0 plugins on AMD64

sparrish

Hi, I'm running Mandriva 2007 x86_64, and am having some serious plugin issues with Firefox 2.0. I'm using the mdv rpm of Firefox, and I can't seem to load a single plugin aside from the default ones that are in Fx. No flash, no java, etc. To make things a bit weirder, Sun hasn't released a 64-bit version of JRE with a browser plugin, so they ask that you use the 32-bit version. I'm cool with that, but the plugin will not load. I've symlinked it into every mozilla plugins directory I can find (I've done quite a bit of Fx plugin wrangling in the past, so I know the dozen or so places they can conceivably go), but nothing seems to work. I deleted pluginreg.dat, no help there either. Is this a know issue, or am I just missing something. Thanks in advance for any help!

There is no x86_64 flash plugin, I'm sure of this, and as you already know there is no version of java for 64-bit either. You're going to find that there is a lot of software out there that is not supported under x86_64. At this time, the general recommendation if you want full functionality is to stick with the regular i586 (32-bit) builds - at least until more plugins and software are built for x86_64, and the stability of these applications is increased. This is pretty much the standard for every OS, except Mac's OS X.

Thanks for the help! Do you mean going with a 32-bit Firefox build, or a 32-bit distro altogether?
32-bit distro all together. You may find that the 32-bit firefox build isn't stable on x86_64 - but maybe it will run fine, you're welcome to try it. I have a 64-bit system, but I still run 32-bit OS's on it, just because - overall - they are more stable at this time.

Java does exist for 64bit OSes (Linux, Solaris, Windows), see:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

From my experience, installing 32bit applications (Firefox) on the 64bit mandriva, althouth possible, leads to a nightmare in handling dependencies.

This experience was on an unstable PC, however...

Yves.

The problem with the 64-bit JRE from Sun is that it doesn't come with a browser plugin. The amd64 blackdown JRE comes with a plugin, but I'm finding that it has some major stability issues. Browser crashes shortly after an applet is loaded, so that's no good. Could be any number of things causing that, but in my case, it's not particularly useful. When I feel like a project, I may try installing the 32-bit JRE from Sun and loading the plugin through nspluginwrapper. Anyone tried this yet? Flash works great through nspluginwrapper, except that I can't seem to get sound through it. Haven't taken the time to try to fix that yet.