Grahpical Interface Issues with ATI 9800

Guest Burrigan

Guest Burrigan

Well! Overcame my first difficulty with the RAID harddrive. Now running into an issue with the graphical interface.

In the midst of booting, Mandrake gives me the following message in a grey-and-blue box:

"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

My graphics card is an ATI 9800. Didn't see it on the list of options... is there something I can do to install support for it?

I'm kind of new to linux, but am quite good at reading and following directions if there's some material somewhere on the net on how to do this...

You probably just have to tell Mandriva to use the right driver for your card. Lets use a generic driver for now.

What you need to do is edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the command line interface. You should be able to get to a console to do this (if you aren't already at one) by using ctrl+alt+<F key 1 - 7>

Once in the file look for a section like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier  "ATI 9800"
Driver	  "vesa"
EndSection

Whatever is listed where "vesa" is in the above example should be changed to "vesa" or perhaps "vga"

Then save the file and try to start the X server again:

$ startx

If that doesn't work we'll have to look at other possibilities. You said that you couldn't find your card in the list during installation - so which one did you select?