Random reboots, USB2 freezes computer, No graphical display.

Yuyo

I have been using Mandrake since the 7.1 days and this is the first time that I have experienced serious showstopper bugs. I want to help by submitting a few bugs, but I have no time to be involved in Mandrake's ongoing development process. I read thorugh Mandrake's site and it asks me to send an email to qa@mandrakesoft.com to obtain a bugzilla account.

Why can't I just email them the bugs and get a reply by email, particularly when I have documented the bugs sufficiently?

Mandrake 9.1 does LOOK very nice and polished. Unfortunately, it needs to be far more stable to be usable.

On My Desktop:

*I have a USB 2.0 HD connected to the USB 2.0 ports provided by a Maxtor USB 2.0 PCI Card.When I attempt to copy from the USB drive to my desktop, the computer hangs hard and requires a reboot. There is no way to restart X, keyboard is unresponsive, the whole machine just hangs.

This happens irrespective of whether I use ext3 or ReiserFS as the file system.

*If my desktop computer is left on the Mandrake Login Manager, the computer randomly reboots itself. No, this is not a hardware issue. My prior uptime with this computer was of 167 days and the computer again remains stable in RedHat 8.0.

Could this be caused by the ACPI-kernel that is supposed to be included in Mandrake?

*The version of ogle that mandrake installs is old. Somehow neither 0.85 or the newer 0.91 play DVDs which I am able to do without issues in RedHat 8.0.

On My Laptop: (Pro-Star 8593)

This is one of the most standard laptops around. All hardware is recognized and configured by Mandrake 9.0 and Redhat 8.0

In Mandrake 9.1, there is no way to get XFree86 to display correctly. This laptop has worked without issues in Mandrake for the past few years. Inputting the vertical and horizontal refresh rates does nothing. I have also tried choosing different LSD monitors, the custom option, etc in XFdrake.

I have Mandrake's XFConfig file in case somebody wants to look at it. I also have RedHat's XF86Config file as well as the the XFree86.0.log and XFree86.setup.log from /var/logs.

If anybody can help or knows who I can contact in Mandrake to get these issues resolved, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

I have been using Mandrake since the 7.1 days and this is the first time that I have experienced serious showstopper bugs. I want to help by submitting a few bugs, but I have no time to be involved in Mandrake's ongoing development process. I read thorugh Mandrake's site and it asks me to send an email to qa@mandrakesoft.com to obtain a bugzilla account.
U can go to https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/ and open an account. Report ur bugs also on the same site.

Could this be caused by the ACPI-kernel that is supposed to be included in Mandrake?
If you have lilo as your boot manager, does the file /etc/lilo.conf have
append=".... acpi=off"

in it ? If not, ACPI is enabled. So you can disable acpi, then run lilo, and reboot.

On My Laptop: (Pro-Star 8593)  

This is one of the most standard laptops around. All hardware is recognized and configured by Mandrake 9.0 and Redhat 8.0  

In Mandrake 9.1, there is no way to get XFree86 to display correctly. This laptop has worked without issues in Mandrake for the past few years. Inputting the vertical and horizontal refresh rates does nothing. I have also tried choosing different LSD monitors, the custom option, etc in XFdrake.

This seems to have a ATI Rage Mobility-M video card. Its very possible that its a problem of X-4.3.0, as evident from a similar bugs reported in

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3540

http://bugs.xfree86.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/s...w_bug.cgi?id=26

I suggest you report this problem in mandrake bugzilla and in XFree86 bugzilla ( http://bugs.xfree86.org/ ).