primary partitions

Michel

I've asked this already once, but can't find the answer anymore .... :(

I want to make at least 1 partition primary, but then you have to give the sectors or something...Is there something some explanation how to set these sectors(their meaning...)

Thanks

Till now linux was always an extended partition, but I would want that at least my root-partition is a primary one. I tried to do this before...(all in expert-mode ofcourse), but I had to set something called "sectors" when I wanted to make soemthing a primary partition explicitly. Becuase I didn't understand it really(now maybe a litlle bit, but still), I didn't do it....This was with mandrake 9.0.

I don't understand why you want root as a primary partition. You do need one to have extended partitions. If you are using parted, linux fdisk, cfdsisk, or sfdisk (see man pages) , you will be working with cylinder or sector numbers. You can change partition types with parted but I am not sure what kind of mess that might create. Doing it with diskdrake is not a good idea since it is not a fully-developed mover/manager and only does limited resizing. See the parted docs here: ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub/Mandrake....s/Software-Docs. You cannot work on partitions with Linux running and you must do it using floppy disks. You can get the parted .img files for making the floppies here: http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/ along with instructions on how to make floppies out of them. You should also be aware that you risk losing the contents of your drive unless you back it up. In most cases changing partition types also requires reformatting.

If you still have Windows, you could use a rescue set from Partition Magic 8 if you have ext3 partitions, but all the same problems would be created with it. If you have not yet installed 9.1, I would repartition the disk after backing up /home. You would then have a clean disk to work with and reformatting would not be as much of a problem. You still need to use a floppy but you now can use a Windows disk with W$ fdisk to repartition if you want to avoid the cylinder or sector numbers. Read the large disk how-to in the Documentation Section of your main menu, and the partitioning mini-how-to in our section http://www.mandrakeusers.org/downloads.php to before you do anything so you can see the reasoning behind what I am saying.

Counterspy