install

Guest ep1

hello :lol:

I'm brand new to linux.

ive heard some good thing about linux. so i went out and purchase.

mandrake9.0 and I'm behind already i see 9.1 will be out soon.

i also have suse8.1 are they the same family. ?

i want to duel boot with xp

which should i gave a try :roll: the last time i could only get 1 disk of mandrake to load.should all three load.

xp is ntfs will that be a problem.

thank you

ep1

I really like Mandrake.

You'll need to make a second partition on your hard drive for linux to use. Linux doesn't partition ntfs so you'll have to find a seperate program to do this. (partition magic) Leave the new partition unformatted.

Boot straight to the linux disk one and off you go!

When you install on the slave, keep this in mind..

1. Select "expert" install to get the custom partition manager. You are modifying hdb or hdc (depends on your ide connection)

2. Click Auto-configure with /usr option to see what size partitions to make. Should have a / (boot), swap, /usr, and /home partition. Then clear partition table and make each partition manually.

3. For each partition you make, select reiserfs as the file system (under journaled file systems tab). This does not include swap.

4. For each partition you make, make it extended. This way you are not limited to 4 primary partitions. You can make the / boot partition primary if you want too and make the others extended.

5. Install lilo to your hda drive. Use the defaults.

6. Never use a windows utility such as fdisk or the XP disk manager to modify a partition table containing linux partitions. They are not compatibile and you will kiss the contents of the hard drive goodbye :) You can use XP disk manager to manage hda or the first hard drive.

7 Some suggestions for partition size are

/ boot approx 400-600 meg

swap (see what auto-configure sets up)

/usr (4 gig)

/home (2 gig)

You can also make other partitions such as /media or /share. You can make a partition vfat (fat32) so you can share files between linux and XP. Linux does support NTFS file systems but only as a read-only. To really share files, you need to make a FAT32 partition..

Thats how mine is set and if works for trading files great. I don't have to worry about ever screwing up my windows partition from linux or my linux partition from windows. I haven't set it up yet so neither OS "sees" the others partitions. But both "see" the vfat partition.