Can not startx after installing Mandriva 2007 mini

Guest mody

I got a very similar problem, when there was no possibility that bad media were to blame.

In my case there had been a successful install from CD, X/KDE had been working ok, this was followed by what would hopefully have been an incremental update (over the net -- no more CD burning) from 2007.1rc3 to 2007.1official. The update process used a script relying on urpmi, and among other things the process trashed some config files. In that or another way I am getting the same error when I try to start the GUI -- the one that tells of failure to load the module, the named module does not exist. The details are in thread https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40843 .

I'm still looking for the cause and a solution. Maybe the next thing for me is look to see if /etc/X11/xorg.conf was trashed in the update -- compared with a backup that I kept on another partition.

Best of luck anyway

Terry

Just to follow up the previous post, my similar problem with X/startx/GUI is now solved, a similar solution might work for you.

(There was no possibility that bad media were to blame in my case.)

If you want to try a similar solution: you might start by identifying which video drivers are essential for your card (general forum and Google search if you don't already have the info), check which relevant packages you currently have in your system using "# rpm -qa | grep <core of card name/type>"; uninstall all those video driver packages (using urpme from a # root prompt); reinstall just the ones you need (with urpmi from a # root prompt); and use "# XFdrake" to reconfigure. Details are in thread https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40843 .

Good luck

Terry