Changing KDE Show Desktop Icon

Guest Zorak

I usually do things the hard way and I'm a Linux newbie, so bear with me. LOL

And I hope this post isn't redundant ,but it was the type of thing I was looking for before I decided to get experimental. Fortunately, I didn't break anything. :P

Changing the desktop icon:

1. The desktop icon used in the kicker is located in /usr/share/icons/default.kde/32x32/apps/

It may be a bigger or smaller size depending on your resolution??

Anyway, I wanted to use the desktop icon in the Lila set. So....

2. I copied the Lila desktop icon into my Downloads folder (or any folder you want) and renamed it desktop-mdk.png. Make sure the icon you want to use is the same size as the one you are replacing.*

You may want to copy the icon you are replacing into another folder, rename it, and move it back later.

3. So to move the Lila icon, I su into root and use the mv command to place the icon in the correct folder. Say yes when it asks to overwrite the existing icon.

*You can also copy/rename the icon. Right now I'm more comfortable moving things around.

4. Exit root, log out and log back in for changes to take effect. I've read elsewhere that changes should take effect without having to log out, but that doesn't happen to me. YMMV.