extract a subdir only from a backup tarball of /home

_Qwerty_

Hello!

I have made a tarball of about 200 MB, and inside that is the directory /home/user/public_html/gallery/

and the files and subdirectorys that gallery contains. Now i need to replace the local files of my

~/public_html/gallery/* files, how would i do that if the backup tarball is in /mnt/cdrom/backup.tar.gz ??

I have tried to read the manual page for "tar", and i have looked through two diffrent howtos, and from them i have guessed it should be something like this

cd /mnt/cdrom

tar xzvf backup.tar.gz /home/user/public_html/gallery/* -C ~/public_html/gallery/

but that causes lots of lines stating

home/user/public_html/gallery/UPGRADING

tar: home/user/public_html/gallery/UPGRADING: Cannot open: No such file or directory

and so forth for diffrent files...

any tips would be appreciated :)

Hello!

I have made a tarball of about 200 MB, and inside that is the directory /home/user/public_html/gallery/

and the files and subdirectorys that gallery contains. Now i need to replace the local files of my 

~/public_html/gallery/* files, how would i do that if the backup tarball is in /mnt/cdrom/backup.tar.gz ??

as follows:

~$ cd /

~$ tar xvfz /mnt/cdrom/backup.tar.gz home/user/public_html/gallery

the syntax is: tar xvfz "tarball.gz" "file(s) you want to extract"; notice the "cd /" and the relative path to gallery (that is important if the tarball wasn't created with the -P flag)

Also notice that, AFAIK, the "file(s) you want to extract" must match the filenames of the files included in the tarball. I mean that must match not only the name of the file, but the full path to it as is in the tarball list; so in case of doubt do a "tar tvfz tarball.gz" to get a list of all the files included in the tarball.

HTH