Dead Cooker

Guest cogvos

Dear all,

First post here, first time with Mandriver (have been using Suse for a number of years)

Cooker came on a Linux Magazine DVD. It installs fine, but locks solid on first and subsequent boots.

Its installed on an AMD 64 Athlon Compaq presario Serial ATA drive, with the boot loader on the same drive.

It boots into the desktop but then locks so solidly I can't even alt-ctrl-del it. Only way to get back control is to turn off. I have no mouse control and no keyboard. Can't get to the shell, cos it's just dead.

Any ideas? Is it some problem with 64 bit code? I couldn't find an option to install 64 bit despite the mag saying that this was possible.

Hope someone can help. It boots 5 times faster than suse and this is important for the application I want it for.

Many thanks

John.

<edit>

Additional info

Looks like there is a hardware probe problem. Hitting alt ctrl and f1 takes me to a command prompt. so the kernal is alive.

logging in and issuing init 3 kills the x server.

issuing start x redisplays the x server, however the log states ...

(EE) xf860OpenSerial. Cannot open device /dev/mouse no such file or directory

ls /dev shows mouse@ in white type surrounded by a red rectangle. not sure what the @ signifies or the red rectangle.

Any ideas?

John.

Edited by cogvos