Problems installing Mandriva...

igotnoluck

hello everybody,

well I'm a beginner in Linux world (2 days) and i downloaded Mandriva free 2006 (DVD version) & Mandriva LIVE 2007, when i tried to work with the Live version it loads to the shell screen but with errors and no GUI or something like that, what did i do wrong ?

the second thing is that the 2006 version i want to install on my external USB 2.0 device (160 GB maxtor) i formatted it to ext2f (size 14.5 GB) and i began to install Mandriva, in the bootloader i chose the Boot from sdb (or something like that) which is my External HD, but after the restart i See the LILO, choose Linux and then it's loading and freeze but when i click ESC it shows me an error log for the first (internal) HD ?

what did i do wrong ?? :wall:

i forgot to add 2 things:

1. im now downloading the free 2007 DVD version

2. i'm sorry for my bad english :P

Edited by igotnoluck

welcome to the board!

As far as the first issue, that's most likely a graphics problem. if you're going to install anyways, i would just ignore that for the time being and if the issue persists in the full install we'll handle it then.

the second, could be a few problems. if you could better describe the errors, or take a picture of them - basically give more information, it would help us figure out what the exact problem is. right now it's kind of hard because there are quite a few things that could be the problem...

2. i'm sorry for my bad english
I know people who claim English as their first language who can't use it as well :lol: - no worries, mate!

about the LIVECD problem I'm less worried, but thanks anyway.

for the full installation problem, i don't know how to take a picture of the problem if it's freeze ? (maybe you can tell how) i will try now to install the 2007 version and maybe it will solve the problem.

but the error code is 6, and that's it writes that it can't write to log

it happens right after the LILO, then i see a picture of pinguin and the writings says "FREE" and there is a loading bar (empty one) then it just freeze until i push ESC then it gives me the error.

i want to remind you that the error is on the internal HD and not the External which is where i installed the Mandriva.

maybe i need to tell the program (i don't know how) that the place to keep data (or log) is on the External HD ??? :wall:

The problem (I don't know why I didn't catch this the first time) is that you're trying to boot from a USB drive. This really doesn't work out too well, unless your BIOS gives boot from USB as an option, in which case you would need LILO on the USB drive.

Well, I really should just refer you to this thread. Read through it, and if you have any questions just ask them here and we'll try to answer them :)

hey,

sorry it took me so long to come back with an answer,

well i tried the boot from USB, i think my computer has it because i can choose to load from the USB EXT HD on the System bios, i will now try to install the 2007 version and see maybe it will some how help (please let it help). if not i will try to make my EXT HD to an INT HD :wacko: but i did wrote some of the error:

nv_sata : secondery device removed

ata 2 : dev 0 configured for UDMA / 133

Model: WDC-WD1600JS-22M (My internal HD)

error 6: mounting ext2

kernel panic

please help :wall: