Konqueror and flashplayer (solved!)

riseringseeker

I have no idea why, but when I installed flashplayer on my desktop, it worked just fine, FireFox plays files like a champ, and Konqueror does as well.

When I tried to install it on the laptop however, though FireFox does fine, Konqueror only displays a gray box when trying it here. I have also tried a few other links on both boxes such as this, and :blush: this. The desktop copy of Konqueror plays them just fine, audio and video, and though I get audio on the laptop, I get no video at all. I have to click the "play button" on the second link, and though I cannot see it, apparently the mouse knows it's there as the cursor changes to the little hand.

Both machines were a fresh install from 2007.0 Official PP disks. I've tried to remove the libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt files and reinstall on the laptop both as a user, and as root. I have also removed the files anywhere they were, d/l the installer files again, unarchived them and then as root, just copied them into the exact same directories as they are in on the desktop. Still no go. :wall: The "configure konqueror" settings are exactly the same as far as I can see on both boxes.

I have google all over the place, and looked at all, or nearly all the postings here about konqueror + flash, as well as on linuxquestions, but still can find no help.

Anyone have an idea what I can do?

Edited by riseringseeker

It's a problem with qt based browsers on Intel Cards (and some more) when translucency/composite is enabled, see my bug report:

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=26253

Workaround:

MCC -> Hardware -> Setup the graphical server

--> options --> uncheck: enable translucency

--chris

I must say, that was a little scary! I went to MCC->hardware->Setup Graphical Server and the first thing it said was that my display was not setup correctly, and I needed to install 915resolution. I went ahead and let it do so, then unchecked translucency and tried to reboot. It would only go to a prompt, not shut down.

No problem, I thought and logged in, su'd to root and "shutdown -r now", went through the shutdown and reboot, but again ended up giving me a terminal login prompt. Ok, "startx", lots of error messages, and back to a prompt. :unsure:

OK, su to root again, and type MCC. Change the resolution, and lo and behold had my X back, until the next boot. OK, so, do the same as above again, and this time on reboot go to interactive mode, and stop 915resolution from loading. That did it! Went to MCC->System->Services and unchecked start 915resolution at boot, the went to Software->Remove Software, and took 915resolution out.

Ended current session and logged back in, still had X, rebooted entirely and X still comes up,

Bottom line, don't know that I changed anything other than lowering my resolution to the install/default setting (had upped it some time back), translucency is still enabled, but now flash works in konqueror just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Word to those that complain about not being able to log into the X system as root. If something were to hose your Xserver, would you have to just reinstall? Having learned even as little as I know about CLI, was able to fix this self-induced problem without ever having to reach for a disk. Bet you didn't even know you could run MCC without X, did you?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gonzalo

Yes It really works! but I cant use 3d desktop without that option uncheck!! well I think I have to choose konqueror or 3d desktop! If anyone has a solution please post it!

Edited by Gonzalo