Mandriva 2007 Install Comments

hal8000

Installed Mandriva 2007 from a DVD coverdisc of Linux Format, November 2006.

Installation was painless and trouble free, but on first reboot into Mandriva my MS optical PS2/comaptible wheelmouse did not work...

the front LED was lit and the cursor stayed in the centre of the screen- this is the first Mandrake/Mandriva release ever to do this.

I used the keyboard went to drakconf and changed the mouse to a PS2/wheel mouse. This cured the problem. On investigation the

old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file used the Explorer/PS2 protocol extract below:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

EndSection

This is not the correct protocol for my mouse, the new Xorg.conf file uses IMPS/2 protocol.

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

EndSection

I know its not necessary to use a mouse, but if you work in Gimp or OO draw, then you'll need it.

One last comment. I notice that Firefox browser has no plugins at all. There have been some linux distributions lately that come with

java, shockwave flash, mplayer plugin all enabled by default. These are Mepis 6.1 and also PC_Linux_OS (the lattter uses mandrake

drakconf). Not sure if its breaking any copyright rules but maybe a future release but come complete with a java plugin?

Thanks for a great distro.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Thanks for your comments HAL8000. A sincere warm welcome to here at MUB.

Glad you had a relatively trouble free install and it continues to work well for you.

Out of interest have a look at the dramas I had.

Cheers. John.

hal: I think something you may not realize (don't worry, a lot of people make this mistake) is that we are not in any way directly affiliated with Mandriva - the company or the distro. We are a completely user-run board, all volunteers who come here to help each other with Linux (specifically Mandriva). Your comments are of course welcome, but if you want Mandriva to hear them you might want to head on over to their site and try to hunt down the "comments" area ;)

Thanks for your comments HAL8000. A sincere warm welcome to here at MUB.

Glad you had a relatively trouble free install and it continues to work well for you.

Out of interest have a look at the dramas I had.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome, and I note that (at your age, no disrespect) it is very impressive to know that you are a linux user. Many people try a linux distro, click around, find a problem, test it for about 15 minutes before returning to windows. Personally, I think Linux installs are much easier these days and the software getting slightly more user friendly, with GUI front ends, install programs that solve dependency issues, etc.There are still some things that need to be done from a command line, but I like Mandriva, so I'll try and help out and answer some more questions on the forum (if I can).

Best Regards.

hal: I think something you may not realize (don't worry, a lot of people make this mistake) is that we are not in any way directly affiliated with Mandriva - the company or the distro. We are a completely user-run board, all volunteers who come here to help each other with Linux (specifically Mandriva). Your comments are of course welcome, but if you want Mandriva to hear them you might want to head on over to their site and try to hunt down the "comments" area ;)

Hi tyme, no I did not realize this at all, just read it on the Wiki page. If you have admin access, may I suggest an "About Us" heading alongside the top menu items? This is something i always look for in a website, but didnt find out about the association

until just now in the wiki.

I will pass on my comments to the Mandriva site but will also try and help out answering some of the questions on this board as well. Currently, Im running, Solaris 10, FreeBSD, 8 Linux distros (including Mandriva) and Win XP, on one 160G HD. It is a little

like carrying all your eggs in one basket, I know, but I keep a special"share" partition which is for my data and back that up

occasionaly. Cheers, Hal.

Hi tyme, no I did not realize this at all, just read it on the Wiki page. If you have admin access, may I suggest an "About Us" heading alongside the top menu items? This is something i always look for in a website, but didnt find out about the association

until just now in the wiki.

We actually have an About Us on the Portal Page but it's been pushed down due to some recent changes (namely the addition of news articles). I brought up for discussion with the other admins the topic of making this distinction more obvious, I will be sure to add your suggestion into the pool of ideas. My current suggestion was to add something into the registration process which states that we are not affiliated with Mandriva - had this been present during your registration, do you believe that would have been useful? Thanks!