uneditable cupsd.conf

riseringseeker

I just upgraded to 2007, and other than a (fixed) problem mentioned elsewhere, the only thing I am now trying to get going is my pseudo PDF printer.

I use this printer a LOT. Often I am not where I can access a paper printer, and having the printed PDF available to look at is great, plus, if needed, I can send it, or print it out to paper later.

I tried to install the printer as I have before. Using the cups browser interface (http://localhost:631). In this I chose:

Device for PDF = PDF Writing

Device URI = file://home/karl/

Make/Manufacturer = Adobe

Model/Driver = Adobe Laserjet II Cartridge v52.3 (en)

In the past, this would have given me a PDF printer that printed a file to my home directory prefaced with my name, date, and a seemingly random number, now, with cups 1.2.4 on 2007 I get this error message:

File device URIs have been disabled! To enable, see the FileDevice directive in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf".

If I edit the file, and put 'FileDevice Yes' in, cups refuses to start, saying the server cannot be reached, or that it cannot read the file cupsd.conf. Trying again, cups does come up, but the config file is in it's original state (my additions no longer there).

I know something is overwriting the file, I don't even care if it does, but I would VERY much like to be able to enable the writing to a file again. If anyone has a clue how I can do this, please reply ASAP!

Thanks