Strange Amarok Problem [solved]

LinLin

Hi there again!!!!

Well i have this weird problem with amarok 1.3 ( using Mandriva 2006.0 Free ). When i click on the icon ( the icon is in ksmoothdock ), the splash screen appears for a couple of secs and then the comp reboots. I use xine-engine with amarok. Any ideas why?? :mellow:

Try launching it from a console and see if you can catch some error messages before it goes down:

$ amarok &>error.txt

should launch amarok and output and save any error messages to a text file in your home directory called "error.txt". Hopefully it will have time to do this before it goes down and you will have something to go on in error.txt for understanding what is happenning.

Upon doing this:

$ amarok & > error.txt

the comp rebooted but the error file was empty :(

Then i typed :

$ amarok 2> error.txt

This time luckily the comp didnt reboot and the error file had this :

QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout for PlaylistWindow/PlaylistWindow
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim
QObject::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::activePartChanged( KParts::Part * ) to KHTMLPart::slotActiveFrameChanged( KParts::Part * )
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::activePartChanged( KParts::Part * ) to KHTMLPart::slotActiveFrameChanged( KParts::Part * )

The console had this message :

amaroK: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
amaroK: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.

I shall open amarok thru console from now on and let u know if there's any error reported upon reboot. Till then i hope the above info helps in figuring out what the problem is . Plz do help !!

In the command I gave you there should be no space between the "&" and the ">", i.e.,

$ amarok &> error.txt

That will ouput and redirect to your errror.txt file both the standard error, 2, and the standard output, 1. Redirecting only the standard error to the file like you did should be fine, however.

The error messages may indicate that amarok is trying to scan a directory/partition that no longer exists or is no longer mounted like an mp3 player but that shouldn't bring down your entire system.

You can try running amarok with a fresh set of configuration info. Most of that stuff is contained in a hidden directory in your home directory, .kde/share/apps/amarok and the file, .kde/share/config/amarokrc. Go into konqueror and in "View" tick the "Show Hidden Files" menu entry then you will be able to see the .kde directory. Just rename .kde/share/apps/amarok to amarok.old and .kde/share/config/amarokrc to amarokrc.old. The next time you start amarok, it will automatically generate new configuration files and run like the first time you opened the app.

Hi pmpatrick

Okk ...all seems well now. I made the changes as u mentioned and opened amarok several times and alls good !!! U were right about a missing partition as i had moved my songs folder to a different partition. Anyways back to ma-mujic...will post again if something happens. Thanx :thumbs: