ns558 module won't load

Guest SDMF

I'm trying to enable support for my sidewinder. I inserted the following modules:

input

gameport

joydev

analog

sidewinder

Now, I am trying to insert ns558, and I get the following error:

[root@hangar18 sdmf]# insmod ns558 

Using /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o.gz

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o.gz: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

This is my first attempt at using my gameport, so it is likely that I left out a module that ns558 needs to be able to successfully load. I just don't know what it is.

It could also be that maybe my sound card is not supported. My card is listed below.

I think you need to install one more driver to specifically access the joystick port on your soundcard. I'm sorry, but I don't know what it is called. Try doing a search. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on this board only 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Good luck!

Glitz.

PS. It looks like you have everything else you need.

I just got it working. It appears that the ns558 module is not needed, at least not for my soundcard. I did some searching and found this site. I looked at the table of supported drivers and got the idea to try insmod-ing emu10k1-gp. It worked, and then I started up my snes emulator to test it, and was able to calibrate it.

Now, can I add the "insmod <modulename>" lines I entered in as root from the command line verbatim to the modules.conf file, or is there some other command/format I have to use to load those modules from modules.conf?

Nevermind, I did some hunting around in /etc/, and found the /etc/modules script. I put the names of the modules needed for the game controller there, and that took care of it.