Konqueror, Firefox, won't display web pages

brian w.

Dear all,

I have just recently been able to make a connection with a new ISP (eskimo.com). I am new to Linux, and have recently installed the Mandriva 2006 OS.

After making a connection with kppp, I open up Konqueror, and I get the following error message. "Error while loading http://www.mandriva.com".

If I try entering a different url (re: google.com or yahoo.com) I get the same message.

Apparently neither of the browsers on the KDE desktop (Konqueror or Firfox) are reding my connection.

I am very new to the Linux OS, and don't know what to do to get this problem solved.

Brian

Perhaps you need to tell your box which DNS server it should use. Yor provider should have given you an IP address of the DNS server. If you configured the ppp interface correctly, it should appear in the file /etc/resolv.conf . What is the content of that file?

I must have done something to the KPPP file for sure. Upon my hastiness of not wanting to wait for a solution to my problem, I decided to re-install the Mandriva 2006 OS, and then everything worked!

I must have reconfigured my Knoqueror file (trying to get online with Netscape earlier weeks before). But now it's all working, and I'm online! Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless. Bro Brian B)

PS...also, the Knoqueror Firewall was set to block everything - including internet. This could have also been the reason for it not letting me go to websites, and maybe the MAIN reason.

Edited by brian w.