C compiler cannot create executables

I'm trying to install krename from a tar.gz file I can't get past ,/configure. I get "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

What does this mean and how do I fix it. Also would Would I just type "make" as my next line followed by "make install" in root for my last line? I can't understand what the config.log is saying

many thanks maparus

[maparus@localhost krename-3.0.11]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost krename-3.0.11]# ./configure

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking for -p flag to install... yes

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking for gawk... gawk

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking for kde-config... /usr/bin/kde-config

checking where to install... /usr (as returned by kde-config)

checking for style of include used by make... GNU

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

[root@localhost krename-3.0.11]#

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

you need to install the developer packages, there are a few:

• gcc
  • glibc-devel
  • gcc-c++
  • libstdc++-devel
  • make
  • kernel-headers

you may or may not need kernel-headers, but it's generally helpful to have them installed. This page is a good place to start to get an understanding of how to build from source. Be sure to check out some of the links on that page that may be related to give you more information.

Generally, however, it is best to try to find a pre-built RPM. The first step is to add sources via easy-urpmi (see the link at the top of the page) and search via your software installed. You can also try checking http://rpm.pbone.net to search for a pre-built RPM.

Thank you for your reply. I already use urpmi and I have PLF also. But since I started using Linux last fall I've tried to install programs from source with no success at all. What started out as just seeing if I could do it has turned into a quest. Thank you for your information I will read the pages you showed me and see if I can get any closer to my goal

many thanks maparus

I went through the process of compiling things from source a few times when i was using mandriva. unfortunately, mandriva doesn't make this job particularly easy! Although I was successful on occasion, a lot of times I came up against insurmountable odds ;) That's when I realized a better distribution, and I ended up trying others out. Eventually I ended up a arch linux and have also used gentoo linux at various points. These distros are a bit harder to use than mandriva, but I don't mind myself :). Just a thought...hope you get things sorted and feel free to ask more questions and I'll try to remember/find the answers ;)