Getting stuck during startup [solved]

Guest g'balls

Guest g'balls

I've had Mandriva working well, albeit without having managed to connect to my home ADSL connection, but now I have what seems to me to be a rather major problem.

After turning on my machine yesterday morning it began booting normally but then at the first screen which gives the option for Linux, Linux-nonfb and failsafe (I presume this is the bootloader), just before the loading bar reaches the end of it's path along the bottom, the screen goes blank and never recovers.

Under failsafe, after a bunch of stuff that comes up and some 'Code:....'numbers I get left with the message <0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!

I've tried putting in the original disc 1 to reinstall but again I get to the screen with the option for more options, or to install/upgrade, if I choose

install the screen goes blank before the bar at the bottom has fully moved to the right (like when I was trying to startup before). If I choose more options and type rescue then I get alot of information starting with 'Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- you can enable it with "lapic"'and ending with 'Checking 'hlt' instructions... OK.'

If I choose Linux-fb from the bootloader list (?), then I get another screen full of information ending in lots of codes and the line <0>Kernal panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

As an aside; I had noticed before this issue that the machine was taking an awfully long time to startup, around 5 minutes, but was working relatively well once it had started.

As you can probably tell, I am very new to Linux.

Can you help me please?

G.

Guest g'balls
might be a hardware problem, but Im not sure...

if not with the video card, might be the memory ( if its really hardware prob)

does the bios read the correct RAM you have?

if you have a live CD then boot from it

Many thanks for your help.

Fortunately after re-seating the HDD and RAM I was able to boot successfully.

Kind regards,

G.