Bootloader issues- Graphical lilo has gone psycho

Guest aref_naa

Guest aref_naa

I recently had some issues with xine- suffice to say, after fiddling with my video driver, lilo now shows gibberish (like ^|LKdrfl%*&) instead of the boot screen, though the boot: prompt eventually appears. Does anyone know how I can fix this? (Yes, I tried reinstalling the bootloader in rescue mod- didn't work.) Or is there a graphical Grub?

Before fiddling with this, I'd make a boot disk in Mandrake Control Center(mcc)>Boot>Boot Disk and make sure it works. Next, go to mcc>Boot>Boot Config and tick the "Configure" button which brings up the Bootloader main options window. In the drop down menu in the Bootloader to use field there are three options: Grub, Lilo with graphical menu and Lilo with text menu. Try Grub or Lilo with text menu and see if they work any better.

Guest aref_naa

That got it so that it doesn't look like cat tried to eat the programmer's keyboard, but is there a way to install a graphical Grub screen like Redhat has? Or is that a redhat-only option?

(At least I was able to fix the problem that caused it- got my nvidia drivers installed, xine plays dvds now :) )

you should be able to change the bootloader from mandrake control center.......let me check.....

yup, open up MCC, go to boot, boot config, then press the configure button, and in the drop down list grub is (atleast on my system) listed.

Guest aref_naa

I did get that much working. My question is, in Redhat's bootloader install Grub uses an image as the backgorund. Is it possible o have an image as the bg under Mandrake w/o using Redhat? (Redhat doesn't seem to want to run properly on my box)

While you may not exactly appreciate a text login, it can be extremely useful if you should have trouble with Linux loading in your machine. I found myself locked out of changing anything due to quota being set as part of the process of logging on. Without seeing that, I would never have got to the problem as fast as I ultimately did.

I have tried Redhat and I suppose if you backed everything up in the boot sector and anything related to it , you could try the Redhat Grub to see if it will live with Mandrake. Be warned you could face an install if anything goes wrong. Obviously you will also need to find out where it is on the Redhat install disks.

Counterspy