postfix will not start /mailowner unknown

Guest Rob

on my "testing" computer i installed 9.0 and postfix, which i configured exactly as described in the muo doc "mail the unix way" , configuring for delivering mail via external server.

it works excellent, so i installed it on my normal computer, which has 9.0 from the same cd.

To my surprise building the aliases db fail, (postalias /etc/postfix/aliases) complaint is that the mail_owner mentioned in the main cf is unknown. for the same reason reloading and starting postfix fails.

On my testing machine it works fine, while the line there is untouched, so mailowner = postfix.

I tried copying the aliases.db from the working machine to the refusing one, doesnt help. Took and configured evolution as email client on both computers.

I made a new user as described in main cf, but it wont start with that as mailowner and not with any owner i can think of. so i returned to the default (mailowner = postfix)

Main difference between both computers is that kde is not installed on the testing computer, but i guess that has got nothing to do with it.

Anybody an idea what could be wrong ?

Not that i am aware of. On both machines i have not created anything like that. moreover, as i have seen in main cf default, mail owner = postfix is the default line, which as i experienced does not have to be changed for postfix to work.

What i don''t get is why postfix is complaining about it. As the way of installing is the same, i tend to believe there is a influence of something on my system. Every re install of postfix gives exactly the same result.

I will try to be more specific. After reinstalling postfix i gave a root alias in aliases, then tried to build aliases db, which succeeded after i changed mail_owner to rob.(in main cf)

"service -d reload postfix" returns this (i copied the text shown red on my screen)

+ gprintf FAILED

+ '[' -x /bin/gettext -a -n FAILED ']'

++ LANGUAGE=

++ gettext -e --domain=initscripts FAILED

+ local TEXT=FAILED

+ '[' FAILED ']'

+ shift

+ printf FAILED

FAILED+ '[' color = color ']'

+ echo -en '33[0;39m'

May be anyone can help me to find out what this complaint means ?

After all, you were perfectly right. I was fooled by mcc, which shows no user called postfix. Then i looked at the item of users, and found out about files /etc/password, /etc/shadow and etc/group. To my surprise there was a user postfix in those files of my working setup. So i edited the user in in my non-working setup, and bingo ! , postfix started.

I am very happy it is finally working (newbie life is not easy) but what i still dont understand is why the postfix user is created at install of postfix on my test computer, and why it is not created in my other install. But i can live with that question.