How to install another version of Linux on same HD?

Guest silvalen

Guest silvalen

OK, so this isn't really a MANDRAKE installation question, but I was hoping to get some help here. I currently have MDK 9.0 installed on a 40 GB HD. My current partition setup is:

hda1 62 mb ext3 /boot

hda5 682 mb swap swap

hda7 4.3 GB ext3 /

hda6 7.8 GB ext3 /home

The remaining 25 GB space is unformatted space, just waiting for me to put something on it. What I'd really like to do is to put both SuSE Linux and FreeBSD on this hard drive as well, but I don't want to make my current Mandrake partitions unavailable. What sort of steps should I take so that I can access all three OS's from GRUB or Lilo?

Thanks in advance.

i believe the other two should pickup that lilo is already installed, and make use of it by adding themselves to the menu. but, to be safe, make a bootdisk for accessing your mandrake system BEFORE installing the others.

also: test the disk after you make it, before you install the others :) just to be safe.

then, if they end up not just editing the lilo already installed, you can get back into mandrake by way of the bootdisk, and happily configure lilo in whatever way you choose, be it mandrake cc or by way of a terminal.

Before you try anything, make a boot floppy for Md 9.0 and test it to make sure it works. Then check out this link:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...2792&highlight=

I've used the procedure outlined in my post to this thread and it has always worked for me with other linux distros using lilo. I don't know enough about how FreeBSD boots to tell you what type of info has to be passed to lilo.

• 2 weeks later...