Mac-style mouting

manly

Right now I am manually mounting devices instead of using supermount, as it gave me lots of trouble. I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow combine supermount and normal mounting. What I was thinking would be like this:

1. Daemon or something queries CD/floppy for a disk every x seconds.

2. Daemon detects disk, mounts it, and an icon show up on the KDE desktop with the volume label (sort of like gnome)

3. User is done with the disk, right-clicks, ejects and unmounts. Go to step 1.

4. If there are open files on the disk, "lsof /dev/mounted_disk" is run, and the output is shown so the user knows what programs to close/change before trying to unmount again.

Is this possible? It just seems more elegant (like a mac!) than what Mandrake currently does.

Andrew

If your using a gui desktop waynot just make a icon and link it to a bash script that mounts/unmounts the device?

I think i"ve seen that around someplace before.

If you have the script constantly asking for the cdroms and froppies don't you think that would tend to wareout the hardware a bit faster. Plus it would run in the background all the time sucking up usefull prossessor time.

Guest LinuxExplorer

Yessir. I used to have trouble with the supermount, but the recent Mandrake kernel has fixed that. I've been using it ever since this post: Post and supermount hasn't had any trouble since. Just be careful when doing anything with the kernel.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Right now, I have a CD and floppy icon on my desktop, and just right-click to mount/unmount.

I hadn't thought about the wear on the devices, so doing it for a floppy would not be a great idea. But then how do Autorun cd's work on Windows? I don't see them being queried every 5 seconds.

I'm going to try the new kernel, since I'm in the middle of doing one now :-P. Hopefully the new supermount will make it all work the way I want it to.

Andrew