KShowmail Doesn't Connect [solved]

lakelover

I hope somebody has a solution. I've been using KShowmail for some time to preview emails on the server. I installed Mandriva 2006 a couple of days ago, upgrading from 10.2. It was easy, very easy, and everything works fine except for KShowmail. The server sign-on authorization fails. I emailed Eggert, one of the developers and he says its a general problem and suggested this:

"A lot of problems seem to disapear

when you try this:

Control Center

Security & Privacy

Encryption

Activate TLS when supported by Server

"disable the last option (remove the checkmark)

"If this does not help, there is no solution at the moment. Kshowmail only uses

the standard pop3 kio slave provided by KDE, without any own protocol

support."

I followed those instructions but the problem was not solved.

One note on this form implies that there is a feature on Kmail that allows previewing on the server but I have been unable to find any such feature. If anybody has an idea on how I can fix the problem or find onther program that allows previewing on the server, please let me know.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

I'm not much of an expert on this, but looking on other sites it appears that KShowmail is still set up to use the KDE 3.3 libraries, and they're not included in KDE 3.4 release which Mandriva 2006 has. A release candidate of KShowmail has been put up on the SourceForge.net: KShowmail site, but I would assume that it won't be in the repository until the final release. I tried installing the RC, but I had dependency errors.

What I'm using in the meantime is SaveMyModem. You can just download the rpm & urpmi it to install. You don't need the Inspector file. It may ask to install a couple of other files - just select 'Y'. It's a little bit fiddly to set up (I switched off the UIDL feature) & doesn't check automatically, but I've found it quite okay (anything that saves me from downloading garbage is good since I'm on dial-up).

Edited by seaeagle

I solved my email situation by switching to "gmail." I also subscibed to a DSL line, and my telephone company has an email client that has an effective spam and antivirus service that eliminates my need to look on the server for bad stuff. I use "gmail" for general email traffic and my DSL service provider for personal email stuff. It all works for me.

Jerry