IrDA [ Failed ]

Guest Joe Noob

Guest Joe Noob

Well I got shorewall worked out but Im having a hard time with shut down.

At shut down everything is [OK] till it gets to Shutting Down IrDA it says failed everthing below that is [OK] but the system hangs and wont actually turn off. Anybody know what this is or where I can get info on a fix

IrDA is for remote devices that transfer data by infrared like your TV remote. Some laptops have infrared sensors but I've never known anyone that uses the things.If you don't need it try turning off Irda in Mandrake Control Center>System>Services. It's probably set to start at boot.

Guest Joe Noob

Ok the remote ya its still in the bag Icant see using it unless I go out of town and want to watch DVDs for less than 7 or 8 bucks the hotel charges.

Thanks I'll shut it down.

What a good lesson in putting your foot in your mouth. I'm not sure how much help this how-to will be but at least it's a start: http://mobilix.org/Infrared-HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO.html . This next link has nothing to do with your problem AFAIK, but it shows one of the places it is used in computing: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...infraredimp.asp .

Now to your problem. Does the irDA device shut down or is that the first point of failure? Can you disable the irDA device (service) through Mandrake Control Center? Can you shut the computer down then? Did it do this in a previous version of Mandrake or is this new for 9.0? It is always helpful to know the make, model and configuration of your computer. What service immediately precedes it in the shutdown and what immediately follows? Asking more questions by me is guesswork.

I must admit that I know nothing about these devices and Google advanced has a goodly number of references to irDA devices for you to dig through. Hopefully someone with experience in troubleshooting irDA will jump in. Check out the manufacturer's site if you have not done so already. Check out other distro's troubleshooting pages. You may find some leads there.

Counterspy

Guest Joe Noob

Thanx counterspy I'll read up on those links. I have looked at some of the google links but just breezed thruogh them. My immediate problem is trying to get ahold of a ext. modem, that will work with my notebook, in a reasonable amount of time. The sales person jerked me around. I needed a 3089C and she brought me a 3089 with no "C" and said" the SKU is the same so it must be an updated model or something". Learn from my misstake if linux compatability chart says 3089C get 3089"C".

Now I get to go back to the store and demand 4 hours of my life back.