KDE optimizations

Guest Stumbles

Guest Stumbles

Under the tips and tricks of this site there is a link to lde performance tips ( http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/download/tips.html ).

There they talk of ensuring /tmp/.ICE-unix is owned by root with 1777. I made the change (it was owned by the user logged on), restarted and now the owner is back to the user that logged in.

I assume this is being changed by some script but have no clue which one. Does anyone know how to make this change stick? I'm running ML 9.0 and KDE rc6.

There they talk of ensuring /tmp/.ICE-unix is owned by root with 1777. I made the change (it was owned by the user logged on), restarted and now the owner is back to the user that logged in.

I did the same, then quit KDE and restarted KDE but could not reproduce ur problem. The owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix is still root in my case.

drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Feb  4 12:54 /tmp/.ICE-unix/

Could it be because I have a text login (assuming u have a graphical login)?

Ok, I was wrong. I rebooted and found that /tmp/.ICE-unix/ had been deleted. When I ran startx, /tmp/.ICE-unix/ got created with the non-root user as the owner. I could not find any script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ that is creating the directory even though /etc/rc.sysinit deletes it.

Also, google search gives me these threads which indicate that this is some bug in /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so* (part of XFree86-libs):

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/enigma...une/014027.html

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hacke...r/msg00176.html

Guest Stumbles

I did the same, then quit KDE and restarted KDE but could not reproduce ur problem. The owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix is still root in my case.

drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Feb  4 12:54 /tmp/.ICE-unix/

Could it be because I have a text login (assuming u have a graphical login)?

Possible. I currently bypass the text login.

Stumbles,

I solved the problem with a simple hack. Change the ownership of ur /tmp/.ICE-unix/ to root:root and then change this line in /etc/rc.sysinit

rm -rf /tmp/.ICE-unix

to

rm -rf /tmp/.ICE-unix/*

This way the directory itself will not be deleted and therefore the system will not try to create a new one with non-root ownership.