dkms and firewire problem

veeral

Hi folks. I hope the problem I have is simple for most of you to solve. I have an intel pro wireless 2200 b/g card and I somewhoe made it work by installing the ipw2200-dkms-0.15-1mdk.noarch.rpm and the firmware in Mandriva 200d LE. But I have installed Mandrake 10.1 Official and trying to install the same rpm. It said it did not have dependencies and gave an error saying"it requires dkms" or something. I installed the kernel source (which, if I am right, is in the 3rd CD), but still it gives the same error. Please help me solve this. The other problem I have is that the booting gets stuck when it has already loaded the firewire thing and OKed it. It gets stuck for about 2 mins or more which is very annoying. Please help if you know what the problem is. Thanks.

Install dkms package? My experience is that LE2005 installs the dkms service as default, but 10.1 does not.

doesn't work:(. the booting is also taking too much time when it's starting network services after firewire. i installed both dkms-2.0.0-5mdk.src from the internet and the dkms(with noarch) from the CD. what mistake m i making or what more do i need to do? i m new to troubleshooting linux and otherwise too. pls help.

dkms-2.0.0-5mdk.src is a source, you generally don't need it. After you installed dkms package from the CD, go to MCC -> System -> Services and check if dkms daemon (service) has started. Watch messages when you are hitting Start/Stop buttons. You might want to tick the box "start on boot", if it's clear, and restart the box.

The dkms service shows to be running. when I type urpmi dkms, it says everything is installed already. what I am trying to do is install this file: ipw2200-dkms-0.15-1mdk.noarch but when I type "urpmi ipw2200-dkms-0.15-1mdk.noarch", it gives an error saying a package required can't be installed and if I wish to continue. When I type "Y", it goes back to the prompt. Other thing I noticed is that the commands iwlist scan, iwconfig and ifconfig work sometimes and not otherwise even after loading the firmware. For example, with iwlist scan I got the list of all the wireless networks near me but when I typed it again after a few minutes, it didn't give any list and showed and error against my wireless card saying it was an input/output error. I hope I have provided enough details to analyse the problem. I am still seeking help on the booting problem. Thanks.