Shut Down Mandriva 2005

Guest ljuba

Guest ljuba

Hello everybody,

I installed Mandriva few days ago and I am very satisfied. Currently I have problem to shut down machine as user - from wherever I try to shut it down - from my GNOME or from Login page. I got listed all commands - all proceses are terminated, killed, ... blah blah blah and on the end command POWER DOWN. And when I press Power button on case - it switch it off. But not automatic like it was on Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu and other distibutions I tried. Similar problem like that I had on my machine on Windows 2000 where I had to specify to switch it off automatic otherwise on my screen remain message NOW IS READY TO SWITCH YOUR COMPUTER. Is it problem or me as user can't switch it off (security reasons) but if I can get "POWER DOWN" command - machine is unusable. Right? How I can fix this?

Thanks a lot

Aleksandar

Depending on your hardware, you have to enable apm or acpi. For apm, simply make sure the "apm" module (IIRC) is loaded. For ACPI, I don't really know: on my PC with ACPI, it just works...

Yves.

I have seen this with the 10.0 enterprise kernel, and I have seen it a few times before that, ... what would help is to unplug the pc after powering down (using the power button after the system stopped all processes). Somehow some BIOSes are funny. No clue why, but this has helped for me, and for some others who faced the same issue.