How to choose 2.4 kernel in 10.1 installation

How can I choose 2.4 kernel instead of 2.6 in Mandrake 10.1 official installation? I have the boot disk ( cdrom.img ) and 3 installation cd's.

I need that 2.4 kernel to get my network adapter to work. ( Had a topic in the Hardware ).

Two thoughts:

1. Boot CD2 and this gives you alternate kernels, including 2.4, I believe, which might, also result in that kernel being installed as the default kernel. I am not sure as I have not done this, only read about it.
  2. During package selection, choose to select your own packages and install the 2.4 kernel, which will give you a choice to boot that kernel in the bootloader menu.

Doesn't work :wall:

I did these two things:

1. I Booted from the floppy, pressed F1, and typed alt1. I tried this with disk 1 and disk 2 in the cdrom-drive, but with both times it said: Kernel image not found.

2. I inserterd disk 2 in, booted from the floppy, pressed enter like a normal installation, but it says that it's not the right disk inside, should be disk 1.

3. I started a normal istallation: floppy, disk 1. But when I select packages to install ( individual packages ) there's no option fot kernel 2.4.

Anything to do?

I don't know if your Hardware topic covers this but I am assuming you are using a floppy because your machine won't boot from CD?

Are the CD's burned properly from isos that have had the md5sum checked?

One level of checking the CD's is to read the contents in a file explorer or list them from a command line. Does CD2 contain this:

Boot/ media/

And, under Boot/, do you see:

boot.cat cdrom-changedisk.img

?

1. My pc wont boot directly from mdk disk 1, even if I put bios to boot from cd first.

2. Yes, I checked then the sums and they all were correct.

3. My disk 2 contains those what you said:

Boot/ media/

and

boot.cat cdrom-changedisk.img

I did my current Mandrake 10.1 Official bootfloppy from the "cdrom.img" which was located on disk 1.

I'm inclined to think of problems people have getting the CD reader to boot from a burned CD-R or CD-RW disk, so I will just mention what I have heard makes a difference.

• Sometimes, a CD-ROM drive can't read correctly CD-RW media. Try CD-R media.
  • Make sure the disk is finalized.
  • Burn the disk at a slower speed.
  • Try a different CD media (theoretically, higher-quality).
  • The reader laser might need to be cleaned or the drive is faililng.
  • If Plug-n-Play OS is selected in the BIOS, unselect it. If it is unselected, try selecting it.

Maybe it is none of this but that is all I can think of.