view hard disc

Guest unionjak

Guest unionjak

hello,

i would like to view wat is on my hard disks, including the windows h/d, is this possible as i know i could when i first started mendriva 10.1 64 bit ?

First, a partitionning tool (such as DiskDrake) will help you see what partitions you have. For example, you may have Windows on /dev/hda1, which in Windows words is "C:".

Next, for each formated partition you want to look into (except swap partitions: those can't be seen), you'll have to mount it somewhere, eg: /mnt/hda1, or /mnt/windowsC, whatever...

Yves.

Guest unionjak

hello and thanks for the rely....will mounting the hard drive(s) erase any data, as i have a duel boot system at the moment(but not 4 long ?) and need the data on both hard drives ?

many thanks.

Guest voralle
hello and thanks for the rely....will mounting the hard drive(s) erase any data, as i have a duel boot system at the moment(but not 4 long ?) and need the data on both hard drives ?

many thanks.

No, of course, until you deliberately erase some data, being root!

Moreover, if your disks belong to a W2000/XP NTFS partition, that is mounted readonly, no matter what you choose!

As an example, here are some lines from my fstab:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winME vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/DOS_6.22 vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/Mdk_8.2 ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb6 /Mdk_9.0 ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb7 /mnt/warehouse ext3 defaults 1 2

here you understand there is a windows ME partition mounted on /mnt/winME,

a Mandrake 8.2 on /mnt/Mdk_8.2,

a Mandrake 9.0 on /mnt/Mdk_9.0

which are all part of a lilo multiboot, wievable each other with a suitable fstab.

the /mnt/warehouse, as the name itself says, is a common place to put all possible stuff.

Regards

Alberto

The Mandriva install usually sets up mount points for Windows partitions under the /mnt directory and makes entries for them in /etc/fstab such that they are mounted/viewable at boot, without a need to do anything further. If you navigate in a file browser, like konqueror, to the /mnt/directory, do you see any win_*/ directories? That would be typical of a mount point for a Windows partition. If you have that, look in there.

Alternatively, what does grep mnt /etc/fstab when issued as a command in console show?